A bed a silky kale, topped with roasted sweet potato, broccoli, beets, brussels sprouts, and red onion, sprinkled with crispy chickpeas and red quinoa. The ultimate veggie lover dream bowl.
I’ve been trying to eat more vegetables, but don’t always feel like doing all the cleaning/chopping work that is required to make what I want. When hunger hits, I want something simple to throw together and get in my belly. Then I had an epiphany.🤔💡Meal prep! I know, duh.
I loaded up with a bunch of my favorite vegetables: sweet potatoes, beets, brussels sprouts, red onion, broccoli, and kale.
I washed, dried, and chopped everything (except for the kale).
Then I divide the vegetables up into separate portions and put them in Tupperware for an easy ‘grab, toss in oil/seasoning, then pop in oven’ meals.
I left out the portion I wanted to cook, and dumped it in a mixing bowl.
I also grabbed a couple cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed them, then tossed them in the bowl as well. Then I drizzled oil on top of the vegetables, added seasoning (cumin, parsley, salt), and stirred to evenly coat.
I gently tossed the vegetables on prepared baking pan (lined with foil, sprayed with oil), then used a flat spatula to spread them out. I ended up roasting them for 18 minutes, but leave them in longer if they aren’t brown enough (or even longer if making more bowls).
While vegetables are roasting, wash and dry the kale. Strip the leaves off the stem, then tear into bit size pieces. Place in large bowl. Drizzle with oil and massage until you’ve reached the desired texture. Set aside (or place in refrigerator until ready to use).
Cook quinoa (if not already cooked). Wild rice might be a good substitute, if you aren’t a quinoa fan.
Take out veggies when they’ve reached your desired roasted-ness (new word?😜).
Dig in to the super yum!
- Mixing bowls*
- Paper towels (I use these to dry my vegetables)
- Flat spatula (or some stirring utensil)
- Wood cutting board*
- Chef’s knife (my FAVORITE knife*, worth ever penny)
- Baking pan
- Parchment paper
- Tupperware (if separating into meals for the week like I do)
Super Yum Roasted Veggie Bowl
Base Vegetable Bowl:
- 1 large sweet potato
- 2 large beets
- 1½-2 cups brussels sprouts
- 1 red onion
- 1 head of broccoli
- 1 bunch kale
- 1 garlic bulb
Seasoning for each portion size bowl (x5):
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- sea salt, to taste
Additional toppings (add as much as you want!):
- Preheat oven to 425º.
- Wash, dry, and chop the vegetables (sweet potatoes, broccoli, beets, brussels sprouts and red onion).
- Divide up the vegetable into separate portions, place in Tupperware, then keep in refrigerator. Leave out the portion you are wanting to cook, placing it in mixing bowl.
- Peel and smash a couple cloves of garlic, toss them in the bowl as well. Drizzle oil on top of the vegetables, then add seasoning (cumin, parsley, salt), and stir to evenly coat.
- Spread out vegetables on prepared baking pan (lined with foil, sprayed with oil).
- Roast for 18-25 minutes (or longer if making more bowls).
- While vegetables are roasting, wash and dry the kale. Strip the leaves off the stem, then tear into bit size pieces. Place in large Tupperware bowl. Drizzle with oil and massage until you’ve reached the desired texture. Set aside (or place in refrigerator until ready to use).
- Cook quinoa (if not already cooked).
- When everything is done, layer it up on your plate (place down a bed of kale, throw on a giant portion of roasted veggies, sprinkle a handful of chickpeas and red quinoa, then top with homemade zingy avocado dressing.
- Dig in to the yum!